Monday, September 10, 2007

Funky Junky Windchimes: Time to Create


As I write this, the sun is warm on my face, and there's a breeze blowing. It's the first time I've seen the sun at my computer since the leaves came on the trees and summer arrived. Autumn is in the air, and I think I'm ready for it. I'll miss the days that seem to last forever; but I look forward to cool evenings spent wrapped in a blanket and cozy socks on my porch swing.

Today I made wind chimes. Not the tuned-to-perfection garden variety that resound in harmony at the slightest hint of a breeze; but my own one-of-a-kind masterpieces. They play a tune that's a bit unexpected and off-key; but it's sweet music to my ears. To the untrained eye, they may seem imperfect; but they are perfectly me.

These windchimes combine some of my favorite treasures; they include bits and pieces and shiny things that I've squirrelled away for years while waiting for exactly the right time to use them. They already mean more to me in this moment than they ever did waiting for someday.

No more waiting for me.

Life is too short.

I intend to embrace every bit of it right now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Jean! I love them! What wonderful treat for the coming blustery days of autumn :-)

Mary said...

Jean- I love your windchimes! They look like they would "make a joyful noise"! I'm a fellow Raleigh artist- hope to see these in person! Mary

Unknown said...

Those wind chimes are so pretty and somewhat bohemian! You have an incredible imagination. It's certainly a far cry from this wind spinner.

Jean Skipper said...

I know, Penny! On a breezy sunny day, these are absolutely amazing!!!

Mary, Southern Pines makes for a great day-trip from Raleigh! We also host an opening on the First Friday of each month. These events are big fun, and lots of regional artists attend along with our customers. It's definitely a more-the-merrier kind of thing, and we'd love it if you could join us. Love your blog and your work! I especially like your 50+ list!

And EJ, you'd love these in person! A handmade original is always a sentimental favorite for me!