Thursday, February 26, 2009

Coil Pottery by Hank Allred...Part I


Hank Allred is an amazing potter from Ramseur, North Carolina. He and I met at an arts festival last spring, and his work bowled me over at first sight.

He explains, "My work is a refreshing break from traditional pottery, leaning in a sculptural direction. My creations run from small turtles and mushrooms to large coil pots, from realistic looking waves with tiny surfers in action positions, to giant face pots with earthy colors of glaze, from modern fossil bowls, to shrines and fish. It has been said that I have a whimsical streak that reveals itself in my intricate creations."

Hank's work is built by hand, using mainly the coil method, and he just delivered an assortment of his latest creations to Artist Alley!

I'll tease you today with a single photo, and I'll provide a few more for your viewing pleasure at the beginning of the week. Stay tuned...

No comments: